Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Eradicate the 'R' Word Day

Today, March 31, has been set aside as a day to teach others of the utter disrespect in using the 'R' word in non-medical situations. This is a word that, in my youth, I never gave much thought to.

I was raised to respect others, be kind to others and not look down on others. However, as many young people, and, sadly, even older generations do, I used this word in the wrong way. I had no idea of the implications or true meaning behind the word. I had no idea how much it could sting when used in a derogatory manner. I had no idea because.....well, because I had no real understanding.

I knew it wasn't right to use this word, I guess I just didn't understand how harsh it really truly was to those with intellectual disabilities. Why? Because I didn't know anyone who fit that bill. But I do now. And my understanding of the the 'R' word, and its implications, is much greater. It's a word that many of us wish could be eradicated from human language. It hurts others. It hurts those who have never, and probablty would never, do anything to hurt us.

Soeren Palumbo is a high-schooler that understands the affects of this word. He is lucky enough to know someone, at his young age, who is classified, medically, as mentally retarded. This person, his sister, has given him much greater insight into the realities of the 'R' word than many people are ever priveliged to understand. In the following video you'll see Mr. Palumbo delivering an essay to his fellow schoolmates. I believe this video should be seen in every elementary, middle and high school around the globe. I believe it would lend some insight into why, exactly, the 'R' word should only be used in medical references.