No, it's not what you're thinking. I'm talking about words that end with the letter 'F'. The letter 'F' at the end of a word (think: off) doesn't typically get pronounced correctly until the child reaches the age of 3.5, sometimes as late at 5.5 years old. And, by the way, that age range is for 'typical' kids. Children with Down Syndrome are usually very late talkers and usually don't pronounce many sounds correctly until well after their typical peers do.
So what does all of this have to do with the price of beans? Not much. BUT- Andrew gave me an 'F' word last night, at the young age of 2 years, 7 months and 12 days! (but who's counting, right?) Andrew was 'telling' me about the ceiling fan in his room. Specifically that he wanted it turned on. I told him that it was off and it would stay that way. To which he pointed up to it and replied, 'off'....just as plain as day. Another jaw-dropping moment in my life, thanks to my son with that little extra chromosome.
I talked to one of Andrew's Speech Therapists at work today. Already knowing the correct answer, I asked her when the 'F' at the end of a word would surface. She immediatley said, 'he's way too young for that sound...not for another year at the least.' Yeah, she nearly fell off her chair when I told her about the 'F' word I heard last night. I guess Andrew provided a jaw-dropping moment for her, too.